Aftermarket Product Review Provide questions and answers about aftermarket parts for the Third Generation F-Body.

Edelbrock TBI Intake Manifold

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2000, 04:06 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Edelbrock TBI Intake Manifold

I'm curious to see what other people have to say about Edelbrock's TBI intake manifold.
Anyone have any comments about it?

------------------
1989 RS 305 LO3,K&N open filter,Edelbrock TBI manifold, Injector spacer,Accel coil,wires,plugs,cap & rotor,March 3 piece underdrive pulley set,Hypertech thermomaster PROM,Flowmaster,high flow cat. Headers and cam coming soon!
Old 10-13-2000, 09:41 PM

most people on this board think it is better to go with a carb manifold and get an adapter for the TBI. The edelbrock TBI only has 1 11/16 bores and many say it is pretty restrictive. I am looking at one tomorrow because I think it has right stuff to hook up the stock accessories which is important to me and I figure it is better than stock. You could bore it out to 2" if you want to put on a bigger TBI but I think the main opinion is the manifold is fair to week and you shoulc go with a carb manifold and adapt it. ....bob.

------------------
91 camaro RS convert
t-5
open element air cleaner
TBI spacer
Flowmaster muffler
Old 10-13-2000, 09:44 PM

I just noticed in your signature that you already HAVE the edelbrock TBI manifold! What do you think of it and how did the stock
throttle, fuel lines, vacume lines, AC bracket and water hose hook up? Did you notice a gain?.....bob

------------------
91 camaro RS convert
t-5
open element air cleaner
TBI spacer
Flowmaster muffler
Old 10-14-2000, 08:58 AM

Yeah... I already have the Edelbrock TBI manifold. I was just curious to see what others thought about it.

The install was fairly simple.(it was my first time too.)
the only complaint that I have with it is that the fuel lines stretch a bit to connect to the TBI. I need to add adapters to lengthen them. Everything else hooked up okay.

I noticed quite a bit of top end improvement over the stock manifold.

With the new manifold the stock air cleaner won't fit, so I added a K&N open cleaner. The other problem is that the height of the cleaner and manifold barely clear the stock hood when it's closed. I'm thinking about a ram air hood or something for more clearance.

------------------
1989 RS 305 LO3,K&N open filter,Edelbrock TBI manifold, Injector spacer,Accel coil,wires,plugs,cap & rotor,March 3 piece underdrive pulley set,Hypertech thermomaster PROM,Flowmaster,high flow cat. Headers and cam coming soon!
Old 10-14-2000, 09:52 AM
Supreme Member
TGO - 10 Year Member

Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts
Car: 90 Formula
Engine: 305
Transmission: 700R4
Axle/Gears: 9 bolt/3.27
I've had the same intake for several years now and it made an improvement in performance. There seem to be 2 versions of this intake. The early models have removeable "torque tubes" that sit inside the throttle bores to improve low end and are to be used with a 305 per Edelbrock. Removing the tubes increases the bore size to 2" and is to be used for 350 engines and helps in midrange to top end. I've been using mine with no tubes and I'm very pleased with it. The later version comes with the 1 11/16" bores only. I don't think that the earlier model is made anymore but if you can find one that would be the better way to go. I never had any trouble with my stock aircleaner fitting with this intake and I have a Formula.

------------------
Mongoose-NCTGA-1990 Pontiac Formula/305 TBI-700R4 with Edelbrock Performer TBI intake,TES headers,and STB,K&N,MSD-6AL,Holley laser shot coil,Accel Extreme 9000 wires,Jet Stage 2 chip,TCI shift kit with corvette servo,Richmond 3.73 gear with Auburn 3 series posi,no cat,SLP 3" cat back,Eibach sportline springs,Energy Suspension poly throughout,Lakewood LCA and adjustable panhard bar package,SSM subframe connectors,IROC wonder bar,Tokico 5 way adjustable struts and shocks,Autometer electric fuel pressure gauge,Alpine,JL Audio,MB Quart,92 GTA taillights,92 GTA aero wing and hatch,Steve Spohn LCA relocater kit,MacEwen White face gauges,84 T/A cold air induction air cleaner.
Old 10-14-2000, 11:07 AM

Gary89rs, what kind of fuel line adapters did you have to make? Were the stock lines too short or at the wrong angle??
Also, did you or anyone reading this notice a loss in low end torq??.
Seems to me that if one has to make mods
to get a manifold to work, one should just do the carb manifold.

------------------
91 camaro RS convert
t-5
open element air cleaner
TBI spacer
Flowmaster muffler
Old 10-15-2000, 08:39 AM

I didn't notice a loss in low end torque.
Probably a mild improvement. As far as the fuel lines, they were just a bit short. THEY DO FIT, but barely. I opted for extentions that screw into the flare nut and add additional length to the line for safety.

I wouldn't mind having a carb, but wouldn't that be troublesome with a ECM??

Gary

------------------
Old 10-15-2000, 10:39 PM

Gary89rs, thanks for the comments on your manifold and the fuel lines. That will be a big help if I get that manifold.
I didn't mean to get a carb, but rather a
carb manifold and an adapter for the TBI unit...bob
Old 10-18-2000, 01:45 PM

Now there's a idea...

------------------