Aftermarket Product Review Provide questions and answers about aftermarket parts for the Third Generation F-Body.

B&M Megashifter

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2001, 03:42 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
B&M Megashifter

What's your thoughts on B&M's Megashifter that is custom to our cars. Does it look any good installed? Is it worth it if the car is only street driven? Is it built tough enough? Quality? How easy is it to install? Does it come with instuctions or any online somewhere?
Old 04-08-2001, 10:16 AM
Supreme Member

Received 42 Likes on 28 Posts
Car: 1991 Camaro Z28
Engine: LS1
Transmission: 4L60E
Axle/Gears: Strange 12 Bolt, 3.42
I like the B&M megashifter that I have very well. It looks great, definately much better than the stock shifter. It also helps if you ever manually shift your trans, it rachets so it prevents you from accidently going into neutral or reverse. Its not too hard to install and it comes with decent instructions. The only hard part is you have to cut a hole in the plastic trim piece that covers the stock shifter. Be carefull when you cut the plastic piece and you will be fine.

------------------
best 1/4 mile so far: 13.4 @ 101mph

84 Camaro 305 ported & milled heads, 3 angle valve job, Edelbrock Performer RPM intake, Hedman full length headers, Accell ignition, Crane 274H cam, B&M 700R-4, 3000 stall speed, 4.10 gear,
M/T ET street tires
visit my website at http://www.geocities.com/jbenge/page1.html
Old 04-08-2001, 11:49 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Car: '87 Camaro Sport Coupe
Engine: 383
Transmission: 700R4
Axle/Gears: Ford 9, Detroit Locker, 35 sp, 4.11
My Megashifter was from hell! Both it and my friend's completely failed in every way. By the time I kicked it down the street, not one part of it worked. But it was fun while it worked. And the install was a bear. Get a Hurst quarter stick. I like it a lot and it just plugged in place. Or a B&M Prostick if you want to do a custom install.
Old 04-09-2001, 06:52 PM

I have a Mega shifter and I love it!!! You must have done something wrong with the install.

------------------
'88 IROC TPI 355, '69 truck 4-bolt, fully balanced, 9.75:1 compression, fully ported '70 truck heads(for now), Harland Sharp 1.6 Roller Rockers, Comp Cams CS 252AH-12, ported '86 TPI converted to speed density, Crane AFPR, Flowmaster 3in. exhaust, Edelbrock TES headers, all emissions equipment is still intact, plan on burning my own chips, many more mods and parts on the way as time and money permits =(
Best E.T. with TBI 305: 16.11 @ 82mph
Haven't been to track with new motor
If you have any questions on converting from TBI to TPI email me at jdkchevy70@yahoo.com
In memory of Dale Earnhardt, I'll miss cheering for that black #3 on raceday!!!
Old 04-09-2001, 07:12 PM

Car: 1986 Camaro Z-28
Engine: Chevy ZZ4
Transmission: Select Built 700R4
Axle/Gears: Moser Axles / 3.73 Richmond Gears
I really like my Megashifter but I found it very hard to shift with the cable included in the kit, mostly out of park. I changed it to one of their HD cables and ran the cable direct(you'll see what I mean if you buy one and look in the directions on how they say to run it.) I'm pretty sure I used the HD 3ft. cable but don't hold me to it, it could have been the 4ft one but pretty sure it was the 3ft. That made all the difference. Either way it takes some getting used to but once you do I think it's great. Much better then the stock crap and it looks good too.
Old 04-09-2001, 07:24 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Car: '87 Camaro Sport Coupe
Engine: 383
Axle/Gears: Ford 9, Detroit Locker, 35 sp, 4.11
Doesn't your T-handle constantly come unscrewed if you put any pressure on it? It's just aluminum screwed into cheap metal. It will strip eventually. Does your indicator slider still work? I had 2 handles with buttons, they both failed. The finish wore off the aluminum handle that came with it. I bought another chrome handle. It rusted. Didn't you have to do a bunch of hoaky wiring? I did and the supplied relay failed and wouldn't let the car start. The cable eventually failed resulting in my car rolling away when I thought it was in park. It was teetering over a ledge! Luckily the subframe connectors supported it. This ****ter (not mispelled) cost me at least $1000 in tows, extra parts, and mechanic bills. I will say something nice tho... your girlfriend won't want to drive the car with it, and it does look cool.
Old 04-09-2001, 08:14 PM

Do anyone have the wirirng instructions for the shifter & if u do can u post it? thanx My shifter was very difficult to shift out of park (because of spring pressure) & it takes a lot of patience to keep getting under the car to adj the shifter cable.

------------------
86 Tramaro 90% Trans Am/ 10% IROC/Z (nose, hood,& fenders)
Trans Am Mods as of 1/10/01
3inch
T.E.S/Flowmaster setup,gutted cat,gutted maf,relocated mat,373 gears,upgraded factory chip,255 liter h/press. walpro f/pump & throttle body coolant bypass
njdaewoo@excite.com
Old 04-27-2001, 09:27 AM

We have a divided room. I had one about 6 years ago and hated it. It jumped into reverse twice on me. Yes it was hooked up right! My unit could have had a defect or a clearance problem, but I did not give it another chance to fail. I sent it back to B&M and told them it was junk. To my suprise B&M called me and asked what they could do to make it right. I told them to buy me a transmission! That didn't happen, but they did give me a good deal on a t-350 and did subtract the cost of the megashifter from the price of a different model!

B&M is a great company IMHO and they have a customer for life!

------------------
1992 Pontiac Firebird 350/Six Speed
1987 Toyota Pickup 383/500+ HP
Old 04-27-2001, 09:40 AM

How does the Hurst Quarter Stick install? I like the looks of them but all the ones I have seen have their own console. Do they make one that fits in the console of our cars?

------------------
88 IROC convertible
-=ICON Motorsports=-
Old 04-27-2001, 01:25 PM
Supreme Member

Car: 91 RS
Engine: 350tpi comming soon!
Transmission: fixed the 700r4 again!
well i just installed a b+m megfa shifter last weekend and i agree with the part abot beign a bit dificult to shift out of park , i am very happy with it. one thing that i d liek to pint out is to use lock-tite on ton t-handle or youll strip the treads. To answer someones request i still have the all of the instructions at home including the wiring diagrams.

------------------
91 camaro RS
- 305 TBI
Mods: Performer TBI intake, 1" TBI spacer, K+N, jet fan switch ,160 thermo,Accel control module, Jet Stage 2 chip, edelbrock TES headers, Compleate 3" Flowmaster exhaust, Edelbrock springs, KYB struts and shocks, 700R4 built by TSI, SLP tq converter, b+m trans cooler
Soon to come .SLP Posi 323,Spohn LCA's and panhard bar,Ascd ram air hood, Z28 spoiler and grille,white guage faces.
Old 05-01-2001, 10:43 AM

Had mine for a couple years and I luv it, I luv it, I luv it !
Old 05-01-2001, 01:59 PM
Supreme Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Car: 1986 Firebird
Engine: 2.8 V6
I installed my Megashifter back in 1998, and have had none of these problems. All I've replaced is the T-handle ****; my driving gloves are hard on the clear coated finish.

The first **** always worked itself loose on me... I didn't have Loctite (as recommended in the instructions), so I used anti-sieze (also mentioned in the book). So, for the second ****, I used loctite, and the new handle hasn't spun on me once.

The install was pretty easy, and took me a few hours. The bulk of the time was using a cutting tip in a soldering gun to cut my plastic console lid to take the shift plate. I wired up the Radio Shack relay as in the directions, no problems. The cable adjustment was a bit of a pain to get in/out of the car, but hey, it wasn't hard to do. A lot of guys rush through that step, and I think that's why they have shifting problems.

------------------
-Tom P (Hot rodded 1986 Firebird 2.8l) from http://www.f-body.net/mailbag/3rd/3rd_mailbag.html message boards
---Think your car could be pic of the week? Visit http://www.f-body.net for details!
Old 05-02-2001, 02:42 AM
Supreme Member

I don't know why but i want to add this!!

the B&m megashifter does look awsome and done right works great!

the downsides:

pain in the *** to install, specially if you don't have a lift.

takes some breaking in, those first days are hard to shift it for sure!

And the supposed relay, what bs.....even if you wire this thing up perfectly it looks like an assembly from hell!

in my opinion i wouldn't buy one, but since i've got it and went through the hassle i've grown to love it!
Old 05-02-2001, 01:04 PM

Guys, the Megashifter is complete junk. All around. How many times does this have to be posted? It is completely irrelevant of the quality of the installation. I have seen the kit and done the installation twice and regardless of installation procedure, the kit is junk.

B&M's overall quality has suffered severely in the past years. Their torque convertors are junk. Shift kits are junk. Shifters are junk. Tranny coolers are junk. I can go into details but what would be the point?

Some quick points.

1. You have to hack your console all to hell to make it work.

2. You have to replace shift cables with junk cables that are prone to come loose.

3. The wiring is a complete joke. Relays are junk. No clear explanation for wiring, and it would have been EXTREMELY easy to make a connector to adapt and plug right in to the OEM connector that was there.

4. You have to drill new holes to mount the shifter. With just 5 seconds of thought, they could have made it to bolt to the existing holes.

5. The shift boot falls apart into dust if you get a bottle of Armor All within 100 feet of it.

6. All the chrome flakes off the handle.

7. The threads all strip out as soon as you touch it unless you weld it on the shaft.

8. The indicator and light assembly for the PRNDL are complete junk.

9. The actual shifter once installed is very sloppy in my opinion.

The only thing that it has going for it is that it's better than the stock shifter. If that's what you want, fine. If you want something reliable and actually engineered, buy a Hurst.

But it looks good. If you have a car that you plan on putting in a museum and never using this shifter is perfect for you.

Todd
Old 05-02-2001, 04:29 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Chuck Everly:
How does the Hurst Quarter Stick install? I like the looks of them but all the ones I have seen have their own console. Do they make one that fits in the console of our cars?

</font>
I installed a Quarterstick in my '88 several years back, and it still works perfectly. I bought the console mount one, but did not use the installation kit that was included. Instead I modified the stock plate to accept the new shifter, it looks like it could have come stock from GM. The shifter uses the stock neutral safety switch, and allows the use of the ignition key park lock cable. This shifter is awesome and much better looking than the B&M Megashifter.

Old 05-07-2001, 05:07 PM

I installed a Megashifter last april and have been very happy with it. The installation of it was simple, but adjusting it was a bit tidious. I also have the problem getting it out of park sometimes, but the ratchet action is awesome and it looks killer. Well worth the 150.

http://www.evilface.com/camaro/interior/megashifter.jpg

------------------
EVILFACE

88 Camaro
Stock 305 TBI Auto,Flowmaster, Full 3" Exhaust, B&M Megashifter
Runs A Blistering 16.5 @ 81.5 mph

http://www.evilface.com/evilscamaro.htm
Old 05-07-2001, 05:08 PM

Woops, link should be:

http://www.evilface.com/camaro/interior/megashifter.htm
Old 05-07-2001, 06:21 PM

there is my megashifter. the plate is off because i have to adjust the sh*t all the time. and the indicator didnt work for a while so i had to redo that, and i already broke the stock cable. i ended up with their HD 4ft. this went in better and is much stronger. when i get the chance or time to drive my car i will relate on how it works!

and PLEASE SOMEONE POST A PICK OF THE 1/4STICK HURST!!
i want to see this beauty!

------------------
Jarrad
1990 IROC-Z L98 350 TPI
TH-700R4
G92- 7.5" 10 Bolt 3.23gears
Bright Red Hardtop/ Grey Custom Interior
5,507 IROC's Hardtops/Ttops; 2,415 5.7L IROC's Produced in 1990

DAILY DRIVER: 1991 S10 2.5L/5SPD WITH CAMARO RIMS
Old 05-07-2001, 07:54 PM

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by RARE-ROC-Z:

there is my megashifter. the plate is off because i have to adjust the sh*t all the time. and the indicator didnt work for a while so i had to redo that, and i already broke the stock cable. i ended up with their HD 4ft. this went in better and is much stronger. when i get the chance or time to drive my car i will relate on how it works!

and PLEASE SOMEONE POST A PICK OF THE 1/4STICK HURST!!
i want to see this beauty!

</font>
I will be more than happy to e-mail you a photo of my quarter stick if you want it.

Old 05-07-2001, 08:11 PM
Supreme Member

Car: 94 Z28
Engine: LT1 w/ headers, catback, CAI, tune
Axle/Gears: 3.23s
Email it to me and I can host it for awhile since others want to see. razorz28@bellsouth.net

------------------
Ray87Z
-Vortec headed 350.
86 IROC w/ a cammed 305 TPI.
Formerly Ray86IROC.
www.inter-scape.com/Ray

[This message has been edited by Ray87Z (edited May 07, 2001).]
Old 05-07-2001, 09:21 PM
Supreme Member

Car: 94 Z28
Engine: LT1 w/ headers, catback, CAI, tune
Axle/Gears: 3.23s
Here is odin65's Quarterstick pic, looks pretty cool to me:

------------------
Ray87Z
-Vortec headed 350.
86 IROC w/ a cammed 305 TPI.
Formerly Ray86IROC.
www.inter-scape.com/Ray

[This message has been edited by Ray87Z (edited May 07, 2001).]
Old 05-07-2001, 11:53 PM
Jza

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
While I don't have the same bad opinions as Todd91SS has of the B&M unit, I do have to agree with the point of the rubber boot and ArmorAll. Whoo! One application and you can see cracks start to form. Don't do it!
In fact, every point you state are extremely valid. I haven't been upset with much about the shifter and don't have problems with it and love using it. But the points you make make me think...

That quarterstick looks kinda cool. How exactly does it operate?
Old 05-08-2001, 12:44 AM

hey i dont have the original console! does it come with a plate. and how much do those cost? and what original pieces do i need. i think i have some in a box. and does anyone need a B&M? i might have one if you do.. but i dont know if i want to go through the work to take it out.

oh well i will consider it if it is worth the money.

------------------
Jarrad
1990 IROC-Z L98 350 TPI
TH-700R4
G92- 9 Bolt Borg-Warner 3.27gears
Bright Red Hardtop/ Grey Custom Interior

mods: AFPR, B&M megashifter-HD4ft cable, Underdrive Pulleys, Ported plenum, K&N's, Magnaflow muffler, Aluminum Driveshaft, Gutted Air Boxes w/ Ram Air, and more!!
soon to have new PAINT, and suspension work

DAILY DRIVER: 1991 S10 2.5L/5SPD -
Old 05-17-2001, 04:20 PM
Supreme Member

Car: yy wife, crazy.
Engine: 350, Vortecs, 650DP
Transmission: TH-350
Axle/Gears: 8.5", 3.42
odin 65,
That Quater Stick looks sweet. I have been trying to decide if I like the looks of the B&M, but I had never seen the Hurst. I will buy the Hurst as long as it is a ratchet. Is it? I like the subtle look. Also, about how much clearance do you have from your head unit? Mine CD player sticks out a little further than yours and the front lever might hit.
Old 05-18-2001, 05:48 PM

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by AJ_92RS:
odin 65,
That Quater Stick looks sweet. I have been trying to decide if I like the looks of the B&M, but I had never seen the Hurst. I will buy the Hurst as long as it is a ratchet. Is it? I like the subtle look. Also, about how much clearance do you have from your head unit? Mine CD player sticks out a little further than yours and the front lever might hit.
</font>
Thanks, but no it is not a ratchet. It has positive stops for all gears.
Old 05-18-2001, 05:52 PM

Sorry. I made an installation kit and recessed the head unit into the dash about 3/4", if you use a regular kit it will hit.
Old 05-21-2001, 01:14 AM

My Megga cra*per shifter stripped the handle and the post the handle sits on. Odin or anyone do you think the hurst would work in a firebird ta or has anyone done this I would prefer the quater stick and want to use a stock shifter plate.

thanks
Old 05-21-2001, 05:33 PM

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by poncho9789:
My Megga cra*per shifter stripped the handle and the post the handle sits on. Odin or anyone do you think the hurst would work in a firebird ta or has anyone done this I would prefer the quater stick and want to use a stock shifter plate.

thanks
</font>
I dont see why it would'nt. I modified my stock console, i'm sure you could do the same to yours.

Old 05-23-2001, 06:33 PM

thanks odin my shifter plate has a leather boot(stock) and I can get one cheep so I will look into doing it.

Thanks
Old 05-24-2001, 07:54 PM

Car: 1989 IROC-Z
Engine: L98 350
Transmission: New 700r4 Done by 11/14/07!
Odin, that quarterstick looks AWESOME! Could you post how you installed it? Seeing that makes me reconsider buying the Megashifter or the Hurst Dual Gate!
Old 05-26-2001, 12:24 PM

I have the megashifter, a couple things: Buy the hammer head handle, it's much nicer. Buy some locktite quicktite so you don't have to mess with having a loose handle.. I like mine alot better than the stock but I still think they could have made it alot easier to install... That b&m cable is useless.. The stock one is much better...

Old 05-27-2001, 05:20 PM
Supreme Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Car: 99 Formula
Engine: LS1
Transmission: T56
Axle/Gears: 342
I installed my Megashifter today, it was very easy to put in kind of time consuming though about 3 1/2 hours, I even used the stock cable and so far it works fine.

------------------
'86 IROC
T-TOPS, TINTED WINDOWS, BRAKE LIGHT BLACKOUTS
GM GOODWRENCH 350
EDELBROCK TES HEADERS
FLOWMASTER
EDELBROCK 600CFM CARB.
KN AIRFILTER
ACCEL HEI DISTRIBUTOR
2:73 GEARS
Rebuilt 700R4, with manual valve body
Soon to be installed B&M Megashifter
and Exhaust Cut-Out
Old 06-01-2001, 10:28 AM

I just ordered the Megashifter yesterday. I'm new to this forum, as well as a '87 Formula owner as of this week. After reading this thread I'm reconsidering my purchase. Anyone else use their stock cable? If there is a good ratchet alternative I might not even open it, just send it back.
Old 06-01-2001, 11:38 PM

Car: '86 TransAm WS6
Engine: 305 TPI
Transmission: Custom TH700R4
Steve10, don't worry about it. if you take your time, follow the instructions, and double check everything before you button it up, you'll be OK.
Everyone who says; 'I have to adjust it all the time' Use an F-ing wrench and some Loc-Tite.
To get the wiring done, crimp some snap connectors on to the stock wiring so you can wire up the relay on the work bench and just snap it in to the car.
I've had mine in for two years with no problems. Even through two AutoX seasons it hasn't got out of whack. Yeah the park detent is pretty stiff, but no problems.