Aftermarket Product Review Provide questions and answers about aftermarket parts for the Third Generation F-Body.

Avital avistart 6500

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2001, 02:39 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Car: 91 Red Sled
Axle/Gears: 10bolt Richmond 3.73 Torsen
Avital avistart 6500

I've owned this product for almost 3 years now and I can only complain about one thing, the remotes. I LOVE the style and layout but they break too easy. I dropped my keys once and the thing chipped the front IR output "window" and the other one wants to just come apart. As for the whole system I couldn't be happier. It has 2 extra outputs for anything you want not including "arm/disarm","silent","trunk", and of course "start"
You just use a combination of two buttons to turn on the extra outputs. I have headlights as one and my clunky garage door opener as the other. The garage door opener operates on a 9volt but it works with 12 so that was an easy hookup, headlights required a relay but that wasn't hard either.
As for the effectiveness, who knows, my car was broken into twice with it so I got a pager system now. It has expandability for extra sensors and comes with everything except a microwave dual motion prox. sensor! I added a backup battery inline ($20 from partsexpress.com) that came with a circuit that would turn set off your alarm if the battery wire got cut. That was the extra sensor. I'm so impressed with the durability. My car was totalled the second time and the guys ripped out the alarm and STILL couldn't steal the car. I had the VATS disabled because of the remote starter but the starter disable must be something trick because they couldn't figure the darn thing out. They even left the alarm with broken siren on my front seat (how nice of them). I even kept the siren, just taped the crack up with a bunch of electrical tape. Believe it or not, it's been a year and the electrical tape is still on and nobody can tell that I fixed it. Now I lost my owner's manual and there are A LOT of options I can program, I can even tell the system to turn my car on if it drops below a certain temp.
I found the manual online with www.google.com
http://www.avital.com/guides/ogs/avi...500_owners.pdf
I'm so glad I found this since I've been trying since last summer to get somebody to fax me their copy. This company gets mad props for listening to it's costomers and not charging for the simple things like most companies do. They understand that most of us spent a pretty penny on the system and the last thing they should make us do is pay for a little owners manual.
Great product and I would go on ebay and find them for ~$120. Did I tell you that I get ~1 mile range with the remote.
If you're looking for a alarm/remote start/keyless entry/quality, go with avital, not some brand x.
Anybody here have anything to add?

------------------
, Jon (350 TBI! it's trenuous and efficacious while getting 23mpg highway with off the shelf eprom)
91 Red RS w/grey int, sq stereo (Alpine v12, kicker solo, MB quart premium etc)AIM: JPrevost
  • Holley 670 TB unit w/ 1/2" spacer/adapter
  • Edelbrock RPM vortec intake
  • 350ho 330hp vortec crate motor
  • 8" harm. balancer
  • Stewart stage 2 water pump w/160 thermo
  • SLP tri-y headers to full 3"
  • Rebuilt trans w/ SLP shift kit
  • Centerline 16x8's all around
  • 36/24 mm sway bars
  • Full poly bushings, even motor mounts
  • SLP LCA and panhard
  • Alston SFCs