Aftermarket Product Review Provide questions and answers about aftermarket parts for the Third Generation F-Body.

Is my derale fan control unit a joke?

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2002, 11:28 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: I
Engine: Taunt
Transmission: Mustangs
Is my derale fan control unit a joke?

Seeking an adjustable fan turn on temp for my 'roc, I bought and installed Derale's adjustable thermostatic fan switch. First things first, when I took it out of the package I noticed the gauge of the wires coming out of it are a much higher gauge, ie. thinner, than the stock ones going to the fans on my 'roc, hmmmm. Then I noticed that the lead you have to run all the way across the front of your engine compartment and connect to +battery isn't even fused, hmmmmm. They did fuse the lead for the primary fan, with a 25 amp'er, but not the secondary fan lead, even more hmmmmmm.

After fusing all of the hot leads, I was a little more ready to actually attempt and get this thing to work on my car. This brings me to the next small problem. It blows fuses like it's going out of style, regardless of if I have one or both of the stock fans in my car hooked up to this it. I progresively tried every fuse I could try, even a 35 amp'er with no luck. Needless to say I have spent a considerable amount of time looking for shorts and am confident that this isn't what is causing my fuse to blow. Is this because of all the extra fuses I added or what?

Does anyone have one of these on thier car that actually works? If I can't get this thing to work soon I am going to tear it off my car and whip it at the next mustang I pass.

WTF
Old 07-22-2002, 06:08 PM
Moderator/TGO Supporter

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Car: 87 IROC 92 Z-28 91 Ragtop
Engine: 5.7
Transmission: 700-r4
About two months ago, installed a derale fan setup on my '92 5.7 when I flushed the cooling system, installed a 180 thermo and replaced a bad fan motor. It has worked flawlessly and is easily adjustable so the fans come on at whatever temperature the user selects. Highly recommended upgrade, much better than the Hyper-thingy in my '87 5.7.
Old 07-22-2002, 06:21 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
MY DERALE Switch works perfectly, now that it was torn off the car and junked. Had nothing but problems with it.from new radiator ,water pump, altenator, maany fan relays....still have some probs now... take it off and just put in a manual switc on your second fan...

1989 Iroc 5.7
K&N FILTERS
Flowmaster exaust ,super flow cat
hypertech chip