Aftermarket Product Review Provide questions and answers about aftermarket parts for the Third Generation F-Body.

Friend finally installed 40 series flowmaster muffler(giggle)

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2001, 05:43 PM
Supreme Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Friend finally installed 40 series flowmaster muffler(giggle)

Today my friend got the 40 series flowmaster muffler(inlet and exit in middle)3 inch single inlet and single outlet. After the junkyard guys installed it they put back the 2 1/2 outlet pipe and the car sounds so gay its not even funny. I know its cause he has a 92'v6 w/ stock catalytic converter which has about 130,000 miles on it. But thats no excuse. One question before his cat and after the oxygen sensor the 2 1/2 pipe has sort of a V cut on it and it makes that annoying sound so he had a metal can cover it with metal straps and it sort of sounded better is it possible thats the reason the flowmaster sounds gay. Or could it be he intalled the 2 1/2 inch outlet pipe. Should he just install a 3 inch single outlet pipe. DOnt even say "bro the car is a v6 what do u expect" just curious he's doing this for the mean time.

------------------
92' camaro
New 305 block TPI conversion, Flat top pistons,Bore over .30 Forged parts all around,Edelbrock intake,ported plennum,ported corvette alluminum heads, accel cam,52mm throttle bodie, SLP runners Home aid cold air induction, Air foil,ford SVO 19lb injectors,fuel regulator,cloys timing chain, comp alluminum roller rocker arms and pushrods MSD 8.5 mm wires, bosch plattinum plugs, hypertech cap & rotor and coil, Edelbrock TES headers, free flowing catalytic converter and a 3 inch force II flowmaster exhaust system, and a 3 inch cutout,Zoom multi friction clutch, T-5 tranny,billenstien shocks&struts.
Soon to come!!!
Procharger system 12lbs o boost.
New paint job(hawaiin orchid purple)Cast alluminum ZR1 rims w/ 275 tires.
Favorite quote: "where ever u go, there u are"

Other car;
1971 plymouth Duster
Mods:340,edelbrock victor jr. intake, 650 4 barrel holley, heddman headers,40 series dual flowmasters, cold air intake,4:10 gears, just got a new paint job and cragar rims with 315 tires in the back.
:Yeah its not a chevy but damn how many 71' dusters have u seen in the streets.
Old 03-31-2001, 03:55 AM

Well, if it's a 3" system, it should be 3 inches all the way back to the inlets of the muffler/s, and then the outlets should be 2.5"

This is generally speaking though. A 3" tailpipe might sound a little more throaty (kinda like a fart pipe on an import), but the reason to neck down to the next smaller size of the cat back system is to help scavenge the spent exhaust gasses. As the gasses cool, they need a slightly smaller pipe in order to speed their flow out the end of the system. If they slow down too much, they will resonate and you will encounter backlash into the exhaust which may lead to reversion.

There is sooooo much theory involved with exhaust systems, and alot of people will argue one way or another about how to set it up right.

oh, and by the way...My opinion is that Flowmaster systems sound crappy. tinney, or whatever you want to call it.

------------------
86 Trans Am WS6 Black with tinted windows, shaved door handles
ZZ4, Mini-ram, true duals
***Too many other mods to mention***

"In the future, cities will become deserts,
roads will become battlefields, and the hope of mankind
will appear as a stranger"
The Road Warrior
Old 03-31-2001, 08:19 AM
Supreme Member

oh i understand now but let me ask u one question. Flowmaster has the mandrel bent 3 inch tailpipe which is 8 inches long . Would that help in the sound. Keep in mind the car is just a v-6 and the all pipes run 2 1/2 inch. thanks

------------------
92' camaro
New 305 block TPI conversion, Flat top pistons,Bore over .30 Forged parts all around,Edelbrock intake,ported plennum,ported corvette alluminum heads, accel cam,52mm throttle bodie, SLP runners Home aid cold air induction, Air foil,ford SVO 19lb injectors,fuel regulator,cloys timing chain, comp alluminum roller rocker arms and pushrods MSD 8.5 mm wires, bosch plattinum plugs, hypertech cap & rotor and coil, Edelbrock TES headers, free flowing catalytic converter and a 3 inch force II flowmaster exhaust system, and a 3 inch cutout,Zoom multi friction clutch, T-5 tranny,billenstien shocks&struts.
Soon to come!!!
Procharger system 12lbs o boost.
New paint job(hawaiin orchid purple)Cast alluminum ZR1 rims w/ 275 tires.
Favorite quote: "where ever u go, there u are"

Other car;
1971 plymouth Duster
Mods:340,edelbrock victor jr. intake, 650 4 barrel holley, heddman headers,40 series dual flowmasters, cold air intake,4:10 gears, just got a new paint job and cragar rims with 315 tires in the back.
:Yeah its not a chevy but damn how many 71' dusters have u seen in the streets.
Old 03-31-2001, 02:47 PM

It might help the sound a little bit, but I would think it will only give it more of that import fart pipe sound if anything, but it's worth a try. The V6 sound and the tinney Flowmaster sound wil still be underlying though. Performance wise it won't help anything since the rest of the system is 2.5".

Doesn't hurt to try it out though.
Old 03-31-2001, 10:22 PM
Administrator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Car: Red 87 IROC-Z28 T-Top
Engine: 5.7 Tuned Port Injection
Transmission: 700R4 Auto
Axle/Gears: BW 9-Bolt 3.27
Flowmasters don't really sound good on V6's, there are others that are better for them.

ZZ5, not all Flowmasters sound like that dude.

------------------
Looking For:

87 IROC-Z28 350 TPI
The car I want.

84 TRANS AM 305 H.O.
Another car that would be OK to own while I still look for the IROC-Z!!
Old 04-01-2001, 12:16 AM

Well, I know of a Pontiac Formula 400, and two of my good friends (69 Camaro with a 383, and 70 Camaro with a 350). And they all sound so tinney. V8's too... Go figure.
Old 04-01-2001, 12:39 AM
FlashGTA

All I have to say is I constantly get asked what kind of muffler I run because my car sounds so bad-*** , one word, Flowmaster!
Old 04-02-2001, 10:12 PM

Car: 1987 IROC
Engine: Vortec 350 TPI
Transmission: 7004r
My 3chamber flowmaster sounds tinney too, I get compliments on how it sounds tho so go figure.
Old 04-03-2001, 07:30 AM

When you say the flowmaster sounds "gay" does that mean you think it might like other mufflers of the same gender? Maybe you could get it to redecorate your interior...

------------------
1987 Camaro Sport Coupe LG4
700R4 with 2.73 open rear
Hypertech chip, 180* stat
Dual snorkel air cleaner with K&N air filter
CK rods with B hanger
Hooker catback
Old 04-03-2001, 08:09 AM
Supreme Member

I love my Terminator!
Old 04-03-2001, 09:22 AM

Car: 86 iroc
Engine: 305
well,my flowmaster may sound "gay"but it doesnt look near as gay as true duel exuast on a third gen.I havnt seen one yet that you dont see every part of the system hanging below the car like some 78 ford pickup.I have heard the fowmaster doesnt sound good ,so what does,please dont say a dynomax.

------------------
~mike~86 IROC-Z
Old 04-03-2001, 12:00 PM

The Flowmaster on my 5.7L GTA certainly doesn't sound 'tinney'. It has a very nice low rumble at idle that quickly transitions for a smooth roar when I hit the gas. It's loud, but it isn't real loud. I have a hi-flow cat but I'm still running the stocker exhaust manifolds. Headers are this spring. Heads and intake this summer, and a cam when I can afford it after that. All those things will likely increase the volume, which I'm actually not to keen on cause the tone of the exhaust is exactly the way I want it as it currently is. I do have an annoying exhaust rattle that is very intermittent though. It's only at idle while I'm in gear, and I only hear once or twice a week. I just need to go through the whole length of the exhaust and look for any tight spots where the rattling might potentially come from and take care of them. Other then that, I'm quite happy with my Flowmaster exhaust.