Power Adders Getting a Supercharger or Turbocharger? Thinking about using Nitrous? All forced induction and N2O topics discussed here.

took a tour of STS Turbo Facility

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2005, 10:22 AM
Supreme Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Car: 1993 GMC Typhoon
Engine: 4.3 Turbo
Transmission: 4L60
Axle/Gears: 3.42
*Up Date* STS Turbo now CARB Legal!

STS Turbo, its thirdgen related
if anyone is interested,
i went check these guys out today here in Utah today. Got talking with Dave, who is the VP and he gave me a tour of the facility, as well as a look at projects and future projects.

i got a look at their 4th gen Trans am(the one in GM High Tech Performance magazine).. that originally had a single rear mount turbo... but now sports a twin rear mount turbo system!!! good lord that car is built.. the twin system looks way better than the single. they are expecting 8's out of it.

the good news is, he told me they should have their CARB EO# by June for CA use. The other good news is they have a 3rd gen kit which was almost complete.

as of now they are only doing single kits but will soon make the twin available. i also got to see how easy the kit is to install. 3-4 hours MAX, with all hand tools. its just like bolting on a cat back kit. easy.

i think the most insane thing they had their though, was an LS6 powered Twin Turbo, 5 seater, sand rail.. that thing is crazy. they were also installing a turbo on a Dodge SRT10 Truck.

so if anyone is interested, check out their website@ www.ststurbo.com im going back in about a week to get some pics of their twin system and hopfully the thirdgen will be done. the kits are very well made, and the pipes come jet hot coated as well.

he said the LT1 kit, guys are running 12.9's-13.2's with 5# boost.. keep in mind the altitude here is 4600ft, the LS1s are a tad quicker.

i must say i was skeptical at first, but i was very impressed with their quality, fit, and outside the box way of thinking.

Last edited by KiLLJ0Y; 08-07-2005 at 06:35 PM.
Old 03-29-2005, 10:43 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool, definately get pics. I'm interested to see one of those kits on a thirdgen.

Regardless of how the RMT's perform or why, those guys have had more attention from them than anyone deserves. That's free advertising, good for them.

It sounds like they have a lot of cool things going on there.
Old 03-29-2005, 11:26 AM
Supreme Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Car: 2000 Trans Am
Engine: LS1
Transmission: T56
Im probably going to get blasted for voicing my opinion here too, but I think their deal is a rip off. Have you seen what they charge for those things?

You could assemble the entire kit for about 25% of what they charge for it. You could even find someone to weld it up for you and pay them and still get out about for about 35% of the cost.

That aside, they work. There is no arguing that. I just think for what they charge, its a shame more people arent doing this sort of thing themselves. I applaud the business man who marketed this though. He is probably laughing all the way to the bank
Old 03-29-2005, 12:08 PM

Car: I
Engine: Taunt
Transmission: Mustangs
Re: took a tour of STS Turbo Facility

Originally posted by KiLLJ0Y
the twin system looks way better than the single. they are expecting 8's out of it.
IF this happens, the sts nay-sayers aren't going to have a leg to stand on.

Good luck to them!
Old 03-29-2005, 01:24 PM
Supreme Member

yeah that twin system is just awesome.. and fits flawlessly up in there.

yeah i do agree the system is a bit over priced.. but you really need to see the quality of the custom bent tubing and welds, not to mention all of the pipes are JET HOT coated, come with blowoff valves, oil feed lines, rubber tubeing, K&N filter, ect.

the only thing they dont supply is the tap for the oil pan..

yeah i'll get pics ASAP, probably next week, i want to hear that TA start
Old 03-29-2005, 03:02 PM

Car: A few
Engine: All Eights
Transmission: All kinds
Holy messwiththeairfilterandwreckthesystem, Batman.

I wonder how many folks are trying to figure out mounting the air filter up on (Edit: IN) the rear fender with a duct (NACA, whatever) to feed it. Imagine opening the hatch to access the filter. It could be in the spare wheel/tire well.

That one guy on here ran his exhaust to the key panel on his Firebird, so anything is possible. Rerouting the airpath to the rear fender will actually have merit (cooler/cleaner air).

While we're at it, fab freaks could cut the floorpan and mount everything higher...never mind, just negated the "ease of installation" facet of the RMTs...at least I win "Best Answer To An Unasked Question" for the hour.

K

Last edited by KenV; 03-29-2005 at 03:05 PM.
Old 03-30-2005, 09:18 AM
Supreme Member

Car: 92 Z28
Engine: Boosted LSX
Deff love to see some pic's. I plan to do my own DIY MID kit on my 95S10. (more like tucked up in the frame rail twards where the cat goes)

No matter how much people will pay. You will always have the guy who wants to drop the coin instead of fab it himself.

kinda like me for my Z. I'm payin B&G Turbo for my hot side parts. and Ceramic Coating everything myself.
Old 03-30-2005, 02:30 PM

Car: 91 Z28
Engine: Lt1
Axle/Gears: 3.70 auburn pro 9"
You know every forum im on flames the hell outa me when i bring this up, saying all the things anyone with half a brain already knows stuff like(its not efficient, wont work, doesnt make power) and the list keeps going. now me personaly i wouldnt do it to my 91 Z because im def going with ATI Twin Cooler Setup BUT on my 2004 mazda 3s winter beater im def looking into a DIY setup for it I think if your looking for something different and you dont have alot of bay space its a decent way to go. and you can easily build one yourself ALOT cheaper!
Old 03-30-2005, 06:50 PM
On Probation

Car: 1986 Trans Am
Engine: 305
Transmission: Auto
maybe i am stupid, but what is a "rear mounted turbo" exactly?
Old 03-30-2005, 11:43 PM

Car: 1984 Z28
Engine: 350
Transmission: TCI Streetfighter TH350
Axle/Gears: 4th gen 3.42
basically its a turbo mounted at the back of the car like where the muffler would be
Old 03-31-2005, 01:03 AM
Supreme Member

Car: Junk
Engine: Junk with nitrous
Transmission: Junk with gears
Since I had such fun fabbing twin turbos on my mustang I was actually thinking about fabbing a twin setup on my firebird rear mount style because I spent to much money on my X pipe true dual 3inch exhaust with hooker super comp headers......so if I did that I could keep MOST of my exhaust, I even have a place where the turbos would fit perfect. Only thing that would stop me is the custom oil plumbing and high dollar pumps needed to get the oil to/from the turbos. That would be the **** on my firebird because since my motor makes approx. 450 HP with 10:1 cr I'd only want to run like 4-5 pounds anyways.
Old 03-31-2005, 07:11 AM

Car: 91 Z28
Engine: Lt1
Axle/Gears: 3.70 auburn pro 9"
Originally posted by ChrisFormula355
Since I had such fun fabbing twin turbos on my mustang I was actually thinking about fabbing a twin setup on my firebird rear mount style because I spent to much money on my X pipe true dual 3inch exhaust with hooker super comp headers......so if I did that I could keep MOST of my exhaust, I even have a place where the turbos would fit perfect. Only thing that would stop me is the custom oil plumbing and high dollar pumps needed to get the oil to/from the turbos. That would be the **** on my firebird because since my motor makes approx. 450 HP with 10:1 cr I'd only want to run like 4-5 pounds anyways.
I was talking to some guys about that and they found a couple pumps that werent to expensive and they ended up mounting a cooler under the car and put the pump and a resivor in the tunk so you dont have to run oil from your engine. I think this would be the best way because you leave your engine alone, you never know what can happen and loosing a turbo is cheaper than loosing both the turbo and your engine.
Old 04-02-2005, 08:05 PM

Car: 89 Camaro IROC-Z
Engine: Intercooled Twin Turbo LQ4
Transmission: Tremec TKO 600
Originally posted by ChrisFormula355
Only thing that would stop me is the custom oil plumbing and high dollar pumps needed to get the oil to/from the turbos.
The pumps aren't too expensive, IMO. I payed $93.00 tax and all on my SHURflo pump, and it has been scavenging the oil from my RMT Z24 for over 13k miles now. Add in the feed/return lines a turbo timer/delay relay to run the pump for a few seconds after the engine is shut down, and you have an oiling system for around $200. See my web-page for more info on my oiling system.

Last edited by 89JYturbo; 04-02-2005 at 08:07 PM.
Old 04-03-2005, 02:08 PM
Supreme Member

hey what series shurflow do you use? right now i have a brand new shurflow in my garage but i didnt know if it can hold up to the heat of oil/and or coolant(for a rear differential cooler) what one do i need that can handle the heat?
Old 07-21-2005, 05:47 PM

Car: 1992 B4C/1LE/L98///1992 Z28/Heritage Edition?/L98 white with Black stripes///1992 Z28 Convertible Heritage Edition, L03 with RMT, white w/Red Stripes///1992 RS, Heritage Edition, white with red stripes
Engine: L98 x 2, L03, V6
Transmission: 4L60 x 2, 5 Speed x 2
hey what series shurflow do you use? right now i have a brand new shurflow in my garage but i didnt know if it can hold up to the heat of oil/and or coolant(for a rear differential cooler) what one do i need that can handle the heat?
YEAH! What he said!
Old 07-22-2005, 02:03 PM

Car: 1979 Corvette
Engine: 355, TFS heads, comp 270H cam, 10.5 comp.
Transmission: 700r4/ 3:55 posi/ 2500 stall
What about using an oiling system thats independant for the engines motor oil? Just have a pump and a small sump back there and run the oil through a oil cooler before it goes into the turbo/turbos on a home built RMT system. (I have never done this or seen it done, just some food for thought) The idea of running the lifeblood of your engine all the way to the back of the car, scares me if an oil leak occurs or a line breaks.
Old 07-22-2005, 09:37 PM

SHURflo PN 8000-643-236. 17K miles on mine now, with oil temps in the oil pan occasionally at 220°f.

I was originally planning to build my RMT system with a dedicated oil system, but scrapped the idea. You would need a pump that can produce 30-40 psi of oil pressure continuously, and at times the oil may get very hot. A scavnege pump does need to pump the hot oil, but it basically has no restriction to get the oil back to the engine so it's job is much easier.

In addition to a better pump, with a seperate oiling system, you would need to add a sump for a few quarts of oil, seperate gauges (oil pressure and temp for the turbo oil), and possibly an oil cooler if the gauges indicate a need for one. Then if the electric pump fails, so will your turbo. The engine is a very reliable source for oil at high pressure, and as long as you take time to build the lines properly using good hose (I used 3000psi hydraulic hose), you won't have a problem. Remember, your brake and fuel lines also ride along under the car- how often do they get busted?

A seperate oil system is a good idea, but I felt that the cons outwieghed the pros.
Old 07-22-2005, 11:56 PM
Supreme Member

Engine: 3xx ci tubo
Transmission: 4L60E & 4L80E
Being new to turbos, I checked out their site. It is very impressive. I read the FAQ that they post and found that they are victims of too much information. They contradict themselves in many of the FAQs.

I have also come across 89JYturbo's remote turbo thread. He is honest all the way through it and posted real world results and engineering. I am more impressed with that than the claims by the STS site. I would be quicker to buy a "remote kit" from him )if he sold one) before STS.

Again, I am a turbo newbie so I do not know much about this stuff so please do not be offended by what I say. It is just the FAQs they post negate what they say in other FAQs when stated another way. I am guessing that their kits are good, but the information is misleading or over-optimistic or maybe ideal conditions that NEVER occur at the same time.
Old 07-23-2005, 01:18 AM

Car: 1992 B4C/1LE/L98///1992 Z28/Heritage Edition?/L98 white with Black stripes///1992 Z28 Convertible Heritage Edition, L03 with RMT, white w/Red Stripes///1992 RS, Heritage Edition, white with red stripes
My DIY RMT in its begining stages. It's complete now just gotta work out a few bugs.
I'll post more pics now that it is done.
Have ordered parts to do my other three 92 Camaros!
Should I make kits? Hmmmmm?
Attached Thumbnails took a tour of STS Turbo Facility-pic00004.jpg  
Old 07-23-2005, 03:48 PM
Supreme Member

Received 83 Likes on 70 Posts
Car: 87TA 87Form 71Mach1 93FleetWB 04Cum
where do you plan on mounting the air cleaner?
Old 07-24-2005, 01:16 PM
Supreme Member

Originally posted by junkcltr

I have also come across 89JYturbo's remote turbo thread. He is honest all the way through it and posted real world results and engineering. I am more impressed with that than the claims by the STS site. I would be quicker to buy a "remote kit" from him )if he sold one) before STS.

Again, I am a turbo newbie so I do not know much about this stuff so please do not be offended by what I say. It is just the FAQs they post negate what they say in other FAQs when stated another way. I am guessing that their kits are good, but the information is misleading or over-optimistic or maybe ideal conditions that NEVER occur at the same time.
you cant buy a kit from STS.. they are not dealers, only manufacturers.. ive riden in several STS turbo cars/trucks.. an 03 C3 Sierra, a 94 integra V-tec, a 96 Z28, a 01 Trans Am, and a 01 Tahoe..

very impressive power.. little turbo lag.. they're awesome
Old 07-24-2005, 01:27 PM

Car: 87 Firebird
Engine: 5.3 76mm
Transmission: Rossler TH400, PTC converter
Axle/Gears: Strange 12bolt, 3.08s
Originally posted by dj's B4C
My DIY RMT in its begining stages. It's complete now just gotta work out a few bugs.
I'll post more pics now that it is done.
Have ordered parts to do my other three 92 Camaros!
Should I make kits? Hmmmmm?
you get right on that

Ditto on where are you going to mount the air filter?

Ever think of running it into the Storage area?

Wonder what it would sound like, roll the windows down for cold air, or turn on the A/C
Old 07-25-2005, 12:06 AM

Let's say I mount it here.
Took this picture yesterday. Today I finished with the exhaust pipe, and made a shield for the air filter. Pics coming up...
Attached Thumbnails took a tour of STS Turbo Facility-pic00001.jpg  
Old 07-25-2005, 12:13 AM

Here is engine compartment (duh! )

Only hint that anything is different (turbo'd) is the charge pipe and the oil return line that is at the front of the valve cover. I had it going into the oil fill cap at first, but was experiencing leaking from the two piece stock cap.

Anyone know a better way to adapt the charge pipe to the intake? I am currently using a soft rubber piece from home depot that doesn't really hold so well on the intake side (tends to blow off).
Attached Thumbnails took a tour of STS Turbo Facility-pic00003.jpg  
Old 07-25-2005, 12:49 PM

Lookin' good.

However, I am a little concerned about the sizing of that turbo. Looks like a straight T3 to me, probably a 60 trim, which is likely way too small. What are the turbo specs?

This is how you fix the TB hose connection problem:
(real turbo hose, big T-Bolt clamps, and ovalized piping to match the TB- since this picture was taken, I have removed the guady No NOS sticker, which made the connection even more reliable
)
Attached Thumbnails took a tour of STS Turbo Facility-ttiroc-engine-bay-7  
Old 07-25-2005, 02:53 PM
Supreme Member

Engine: 3xx ci tubo
Transmission: 4L60E & 4L80E
Not to hi-jack this thread....but what are those turbos off of 89JYturbo? They look like Volvos due to the outlet 3 bolt flange. Are those downpipes 2.5" or 3" pipe? Are they 45 trim T3 w/ .48 A/R?

The RMT looks like the air breather pipe has been cut in a "cheated" fashion. You may get more room if you brought the U-bend upward instead of rear-ward.

There is an online company called atpturbo.com that sells 4" silicone couplers and T-bolts clamps for a good price. You can also buy the Vorterch kit from for about $90 that has the aluminum pipe, couplers, and T-bolt clamps.

Also, you could try adding a slight lip to the joints so that under high pressure they can't come apart. I am doing that with the pieces I mad for my set-up, but it is a lot of work. All depends on how much boost you plan on running.
Old 07-25-2005, 10:00 PM

Originally posted by junkcltr
Not to hi-jack this thread....but what are those turbos off of 89JYturbo? They look like Volvos due to the outlet 3 bolt flange. Are those downpipes 2.5" or 3" pipe? Are they 45 trim T3 w/ .48 A/R?
My TT system originally used two junkyard Volvo 45 trim T3s (.42 A/R comp, .48A/R turbine). The current turbos are Garrett T3/T4 Hybrids (TO4e 57 Trim Compressors with T3 Stage III .63A/R turbines). They were built by my local turbo shop, Blouch Turbo in Lebanon, PA (www.blouchturbo.com). They still use the Volvo W/G swing-valves which use the flared 3-bolt DP connection. The Volvo WG valves use the standard Ford 5-bolt turbine discharge flange, so it was no problem to get turbines that matched up to 'em.

The down-pipes are 2.5" OD, which should provide enough flow for my power goals. However, the rest of my exhaust (Y-pipe back), just chokes it down. I seriously need to upgrade the exhaust from the down-pipes back.

Here is a pic of my TT system with the old Volvo turbos mounted (they are miniatures compared to the current combo!):
Old 07-26-2005, 06:16 PM

Originally posted by 89JYturbo
However, I am a little concerned about the sizing of that turbo. Looks like a straight T3 to me, probably a 60 trim, which is likely way too small. What are the turbo specs?

Turbo is a Super 60, I think T3/T4?
Is this too small? Could this be why I'm only getting 4lbs of boost? Have been checking everything and that's all I get.

I have a T4 turbo, should I switch it for the Super 60?

ovalized piping - where do you get that ? Let me guess, have to make it?
Thanks!
Old 07-26-2005, 09:00 PM

Originally posted by dj's B4C
Turbo is a Super 60, I think T3/T4?
Is this too small? Could this be why I'm only getting 4lbs of boost? Have been checking everything and that's all I get.

I have a T4 turbo, should I switch it for the Super 60?

ovalized piping - where do you get that ? Let me guess, have to make it?
Thanks!
Two Super 60's and you would be about right. Your way small with only one of them. And yes, a Super 60 is just a T3 (not a Hybrid, the Super 60 is just Turbonetic's term for their 'improved' T3 60trim wheel).

What size is your T4? Hard to say how ell it would be sized without giving specs on it (thats like saying "my car has a V8 in it"- could be anyting from a wheezing 265ci small block to a healthy, big displacement big block).

Yes, I made the TB inlet tubing.
Old 07-26-2005, 09:20 PM

Thanks for the replies 89JYturbo!

My other two turbo's are T04B90 with an A/R of .60.
Would one of these be a better choice?
Go ahead, tell me, I'll have to change the flange to a T4 flange. Right?
Dang it!

As it is now with the Super 60, I get round 4 lbs of boost. Would really like to get 6lbs. Engine is stock 305, just wanna wake it up a bit. Then I will turn to my other Camaros and their 350's.
What single size turbo would you recommend for them?

Thanks again!
Old 08-04-2005, 10:00 PM

89JYturbo u still there?
Looking to order the "correct" turbo. Was wondering what you might suggest? Anything with a T3 flange?
d.j.
Old 08-07-2005, 10:58 AM

One of those would be better choice, but what are the rest of the specs? (which compressor wheel, turbine wheel, and turbine a/r). This page might help a little...
http://64.225.76.178/catalog/comp_wheels.html

If it's a full T4, yes you'll have to change the flange, as the bolt pattern is a larger square instead of a rectangle like the T3's.

If you only want 6 psi running through a stock 305, some variation of a T3/T4 would be fine, preferably with a .63 ar turbine side and a "stage III" turbine wheel, like 89JYturbo is using x2, and something like your current T4's compressor sides.

Good luck, it's nice to see someone just jump right in on that project. Make sure your air filter/turbo is shielded from water!
Old 08-07-2005, 11:33 AM
Supreme Member

as of Friday August 5th 2005... STS now has CARB approval for all its GM rear mount products!!!

here is also the skinny on thirdgen kits.. my friend who is one of the main fabricators, who developed the GTO kit, said they have done 3 thirdgens but there is no "kit" per se' so... what they are doing is using the 4th gen kit, then changing the intake pipe where it goes into the manifold... you can call and have them make you one, but they dont offer it on their website.. YET

we were going to do this on my car.. but mine is going to be different since im going to be using the LT1 intake(sits lower) we'll see how it goes in the future

ALSO... they are no longer going to be using the HPC thermal coating on the pipes... they are switching to an ALL stainless steel piping systems..(this cuts down cost)
Old 08-12-2005, 10:11 AM

Car: 1991 Z28 1LE
Engine: LB9
Transmission: WC T-5
Ok, so who is a contact person at STS that knows about the third gen "project" (not a kit) to get pricing and info?
Old 12-06-2005, 09:19 PM
doc
Supreme Member

Car: '87 IROCZ
Engine: 395 ZZ4
Transmission: ProBuilt 700R4
Axle/Gears: 9 bolt 3.70s
KiLLJOY:

Where is the thirdgen kit? I see nothing on STS's website concerning a current or future thirdgen kit. I was really hoping that they would produce one.
Old 12-08-2005, 05:41 PM

Car: 00' rcsb
Engine: Little boosted 5.3
Transmission: 4l80e
The Kit for the third gen is still coming, they have a mock up and its installed on a car, they are working out all the bugs and getting everything tuned. i don't know when they will release it or if they even will. but they have one on a car right now
Old 12-08-2005, 06:29 PM
doc
Supreme Member

Car: '87 IROCZ
Engine: 395 ZZ4
Transmission: ProBuilt 700R4
Axle/Gears: 9 bolt 3.70s
That sounds great, but that could mean that the kit will be ready in a year. I hope that it comes true. However, on their wegsite they make no mention of it. They have several new kits, like for a H2 Hummer. I cant believe that they would sell more kits to Hummers than thirdgen F-bodies.

I sent them email on the 6th, and they have not yet responded back to me yet.
Old 12-08-2005, 07:46 PM
Supreme Member

Car: 92 Z28
Engine: Boosted LSX
DID YOU GUY READ his post at all??/

you can call and have them make you one, but they dont offer it on their website.. YET