V6 Discussion and questions about the base carbureted or MPFI V6's and the rare SFI Turbo V6.

Check Engine Light

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2004, 07:06 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Check Engine Light

Ok hey guys I just got my 92 camaro RS. My bro wrecked it about 5 years ago it sat around and i got a new front end on it and got the engine running. THe mechanics said there was a automatic choke problem or something, nothing i know anything about but now i finally got it 3 days ago and its F'en awsome. THe only thing is the check engine light comes on after a few minutes of driving it and also the "infl rest" light comes on as soon as i start it and never goes out, i have know idea what this means. The air bag had to be replaced so i dont know if that has anything to do with it. I was just wondering what you guys thoughts cause you guys are insane when it comes to knowing about 3rd gens. Also i was wondering about the air intake. Ive seen some of the home made intakes and mine kinda looks wierd from what ive seen on here. It comes off the engine to the radiator over towards the passenger side into this little box looking thing. It doesnt look like any air can get into that little box and just looks really wierd. Ill take a picture of it if no one knows what im talking about but its probably normal and im just retarded who knows. Ok thanks alot guys ill be looking forward to your responses gonna go check out the tune up page that everyone says is the first thing you should do to your 3rd gen. OK thanks guys
Mitch
Old 03-21-2004, 07:26 PM
Supreme Member

Car: 95 E-150 & 07 Kawasaki ZX-6R
Engine: A slow one & a fast one
Transmission: A bad one & a good one
Axle/Gears: A weak one & a chained one
Automatic choke?? That's for a carb.. The motor in yours, unless it was swapped, should be either a 3.1 MPFI or a 305 TBI. The TBI LOOKS like a carb, but it's not. It's got a vertical throttle body and, I think, 2 fuel injectors batched together above the throttle blade. The 3.1 has a throttle body pointing horizontally.

The air intake setup, does it go into a circular canister on the passenger side...about the size of the coffee can? The inlet to it is towards the passenger fender...it's a small spout off of the can, that has about a 1 inch diameter. It's horribly restrictive.

If that's the intake setup, then I'd be almost positive you have a 3.1 MPFI motor.

First, pull the check engine code and see what it says. https://www.thirdgen.org/newdesign/faq/thirdgen.shtml
Click miscellaneous, and it's the first item addressed under that section.

The Infl. Rest. light is Inflatable Restraint, aka airbag. It sounds like something is wrong with it.... either it was put in wrong, there's a bad connection somewhere, etc... I don't know anything about airbags though.
Old 03-21-2004, 07:38 PM

hod do i "pull the check engine code" i read that thing and it was like reading greek. Any help witht hat or my other questions?
Old 03-21-2004, 07:49 PM
TGO Supporter

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Car: 1989 Iroc-Z
Engine: 5.7L TPI
Transmission: 700R4
To check the codes on your car, take a paper clip and jumper pin "A" & "B" of the ALDL. There is a picture here to indicate the pins. With the key in the "ON" position, the service engine soon light will flash any codes stored in the computer. The first code flashed will be code 12, this is a normal code and not to worry about. For this code, the light will go "FLASH....FLASH FLASH". It will will do this three times and then proceed to the next code. When all codes have been flashed, it will repeat the cycle. After you have retrieved all the codes, remove the paper clip and turn the key to "OFF".
Attached Thumbnails Check Engine Light-aldl.gif  
Old 03-21-2004, 07:53 PM
Supreme Member

EDIT: AHHHH I typed this all for nothing!!! Oh well, it's not getting deleted now!

Under the steering wheel, near the fuse panel, you should have a connector called the ALDL. It looks almost like something you'd plug a computer printer cable into, or a PS2 controller. There are I believe two rows of 6 'pins' each. So it should look like this:
|- - - - - -|
|- - - - - -|

What you need to do, if you don't own a code-scanner, or something similar.....grab a paperclip, a piece of wire, ANYTHING that will conduct electricity. Make sure the key to the ignition is OFF. Stick one end of the paperclip or whatever into the upper right pin. Stick the other end into the pin to the immediate left of it. Connect the X's:
|- - - - X X|
|- - - - - - |

Now, turn the key forward to Ign., but DO NOT start the car. Your check engine light will start to blink.

First, it will throw a code 12. Code 12 basically just means the diagnostic controller and everything is working properly. The code will show up in two SETS of BLINKS.

The first set is the first digit of the code, and the second set represents the second digit of the code. So a code 12 would be: BLINK ----PAUSE----- BLINK BLINK

A code 42 would be: BLINK BLINK BLINK BLINK ----PAUSE----- BLINK BLINK

Scribble all of these down. The codes will REPEAT THREE TIMES before moving onto the next code, so it will give you plenty of chances to get it right.

Once all the codes are done displaying, it will start the cycle over again and flash you a code 12. Once you see code 12 a second time, you'll know it's done, so disconnect everything and turn the key off. The definitions of all the code numbers are on the link I provided previously.

There ya go. Hope that helps.

Last edited by Nixon1; 03-21-2004 at 07:56 PM.
Old 03-21-2004, 07:58 PM

wow.... thats crazy i'm gonna go check this out right now thanks alot guys!!!
Mitch
Old 03-21-2004, 08:13 PM
TGO Supporter

O/T, Hello Nixon1,

How has your weekend been, nice and sunny down there in sunny Florida.
Old 03-21-2004, 08:16 PM

hey guys i did it, I got 2 problems 23 and 33 they are

23. Low temperature at manifold air temperature sensor OR
Throttle position sensor error
and

33. High voltage (low vacuum) at mass air flow sensor (or MAP sensor)

i have no idea what that means any help with this.
Mitch
Old 03-21-2004, 08:22 PM
Supreme Member

Originally posted by Trickster
O/T, Hello Nixon1,

How has your weekend been, nice and sunny down there in sunny Florida.
Crappy. Worked all through it. 8 hours Friday, 10 hours yesterday, 10 today, and 7 tomorrow. But I get a nice 3 day vacation after tomorrow. Gotta love part time.
Old 03-21-2004, 09:29 PM
TGO Supporter

Still O/T,
Tell you what, you come have surgery for me tomorrow and I will come work for you.
Old 03-21-2004, 09:30 PM
Supreme Member

Lol, guess I should stop complaining huh?

But be my guest to come work...hell, you can even work WITH me. We're short on tire techs. $7.50 an hour.

To address the problems:
23...I would attribute to throttle position sensor probably. MAT is the little sensor in the airbox and it's pretty hard to foul up..they generally last forever. Unless it's disconnected.

The other code...well you shouldnt have an MAF....as for your MAP sensor, check all your vacuum lines. And there should be one hardline going to the MAP, which is mounted on the cowling at the firewall...middle-ish, but slightly closer to the pass. side I think.

Last edited by Nixon1; 03-21-2004 at 09:33 PM.
Old 03-23-2004, 10:10 AM

OK thanks for the input just a few questions
i have no idea where the throttle position sensor is, or the MAT, or the MAP sensor, or the vacume lines, i just got my car a few days ago and this is only my second car so i really dont know crap about cars let alone camaros, sorry for being stupid and bothersome but just need some help, and also my alternator went out and i replaced that would that have had anything to do with either of these problems?
Mitch
Old 03-23-2004, 12:08 PM

hey guys i figured out one problem on my MAF where the wire is supposed to be hooked up there is nothing and i searched everywhere to try and find the wire to plug in there, where does it come from all i can find is alittle 2 pronged wire hanging lose near the MAF not sure exactly what that is either and also

Im getting code 23 which is "Poor electrical connection, open or short in circuit; defective MAT sensor, defective ECM" i have a 92 3.1L what problem do i have with that one?

also im getting code 32 with is "Poor electrical connection, open or short in circuit; defective EGR valve; defective ECM" my EGR is pluged in and looks ok what could be wrong wit this. this car has been sittng for 7 ytears could it need replaced?

and thats it if you guys could help me out that would be great thanks.
Mitchell
Old 03-23-2004, 03:36 PM
Supreme Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Car: 1986 Firebird
Engine: 2.8 V6
Welcome to the forum, MitchNLil! Some more info for you; MAF (mass air flow) sensors were used on 85-89 2.8 v6's. Your 3.1 v6 uses a MAP sensor- Manifold Absolute Pressure; like Nixon1 said, you don't have a MAF.

But you're in the right area for connecting the MAT (manifold air temperature) sensor back up. You should have an air filter box on the passenger side of the car, correct? Look for a sensor in that box. (I believe that's where it is on a 90-92 Camaro, someone correct me if I'm wrong!)

As to the EGR; bad news, you have the digital EGR, which isn't cheap to replace. Expressautoparts.com lists it for $270! So you'll have to do some junkyard crawling to dig one up...unless someone here has a GM procedure to test one.

Also you might want to consider getting the '92 Camaro Service Manual from http://www.helminc.com . Sometimes you can find them for cheaper on ebay.com, too.
Old 03-23-2004, 04:17 PM

thanks for the reply tomp i have a haynes repair manual that has tought me quite a bit in the few days i have looked at it. one question about the maf on the hose that brings the air into my engine there is a little area that sticks out that says MAF with alittle inlet to place a plug, should this not be there?

What should I do with the MAT does it need replaced?

also near the box that holds the air filter there is a wire with a small 2 pronged plug coming out of it, the plug is blue and hanging freely, i was wondering if you know what this is, thanks
Mitch
Old 03-23-2004, 06:21 PM
Supreme Member

Whoops; I'm confused now. Correct, your '92 shouldn't have a MAF- but you're saying it does! So if there is one (three pin connector on it? With an "AC" stamp on the rectangle?), it was added.

How is your air intake routed? The correct setup for your 90-92 car should be: Airbox (passenger side) to L-shaped duct to rubber hose to throttle body on engine.

The 85-89 Camaros had the "performance" air intake system, also called a "dual snorkel", which you could actually retrofit to your car. This was two air filters (by the hood latch), going into a mass airflow sensor, then a rubber hose, then the throttle body.

Which intake sounds like yours? The 85-89 or the 90-92? I don't see how a MAF sensor could be fit onto a 90-92 intake... so it sounds like someone put the 85-89 intake into your car. Hm. Now that would make sense- because the MAF also took up a few inches of ducting/tubing- and if someone put that intake on your car, they could've used the MAF to take up that few inches of tubing. Know what I mean? (We probably would've just used a few inches of 2.5" exhaust pipe)

The two-pin connector hanging by your airbox should go TO a mating sensor (the MAT) on the airbox. I think Nixon1 nailed it; the connector is just unplugged. I've forgotten to plug that connector in dozens of times!
Old 03-23-2004, 07:01 PM

Car: 1987 Camaro v6 2.8l MPI
Engine: one that goes "vroom vroom"
Transmission: one that shifts
Just pulled codes out of my car using my girlfriends hair clip thing...lol it worked!

Codes i got were;
32- Fault in barometric pressure sensor circuit OR
Fault in exhaust gas recirculation valve diagnostic switch OR
Fault in electronic vacuum regulator valve

34- Low voltage (high vacuum) at mass air flow sensor (or MAP sensor)

Now, the guy at the shop i took the car to did say it had a vacuum leak, but also said the vacuum lines were discontinued for the 87....anyone know what he's talking about? He also mentioned that the EGR is messing up, like the valve is fine, its just not turning on. Oi, won't be able to take it back in to the shop for at least another 3-4 weeks, until then i gotta make do with what i got i guess....unless someone can explain how to replace vacuum lines (pictures/diagrams help) for an 87 v6
Old 03-24-2004, 12:47 PM
Supreme Member

Diagram should be inside your hood, on the hood itself by the hood latch. Make vaccum lines up with 5/16" windshield washer tubing. I bet you have a crack in the plastic line that goes to your EGR.

Since you have an '87, you lucked out (like I did)- we have the vacuum operated EGR. This is a three-piece system- EGR valve, EGR solenoid, and EGR diagnostic switch. Operation goes like this: Computer engages EGR solenoid. Vaccum goes to EGR valve and EGR switch. Computer checks EGR diag switch for vacuum. If no vaccum, computer throws error code.

So if there's a crack in ANY of the vacuum lines between the EGR valve, EGR diagnostic switch, or EGR solenoid- you'll get a code 32.

But MitchNLil has a digital EGR, which has nothing to do with vaccuum, and everything to do about price. And I think Dale told me that the digital EGR can activate in steps, as opposed to our 85-89 vacuum EGR's that are either On or Off. So that means MitchNLil (and others) can't retrofit the cheaper 85-89 EGR to their 90-92 cars.
Old 03-24-2004, 05:02 PM

hey i forgot to mention my brother wrecked this camaro back in 97 and it got a new front end put on it this year. Could it be that the front end they put on it was from an earlier car cause that connecter i was talking about that is hanging freely i found where it goes and it is in the airbox where a wire that looks exactly like it but on the other side of the airbox and a wire is pluged into it with the ends of the wired snipped off. My best guess is that they took some other front end. but my setup is like the 90-92 setup so im confused. Did where the MAT plugs in change from 90 to 92. and also the MAF is definitly there with the plug but there is no wire to be found anywhere to go into it.

I want to put in that Cool air induction system that you guys use and was wondering where the MAT plugs in with thattype of system since ill be taking out the airbox.

Also my system says there is a problem with the MAP. I know where the MAP is but im wondering what i can do to fix it or should i leave it to someone alittle more advanced.

thanks
Mitchell
Old 03-24-2004, 08:10 PM

Car: 1987 Camaro v6 2.8l MPI
Engine: one that goes "vroom vroom"
Transmission: one that shifts
Tom:

Looking up the receipt from when i took it in....

"Found one ignition wire defective" (it was resting on some exhaust pipe thing that jacked it up bad)". Check vehicle for acuum leak, found EGR tube at the manifold leaking vacuum, repaired vacuum leak. EGR valve does not work and leaks vacuum, recommend new EGR valve and vacuum lines"

He told me there was a grommet going to the EGR valve that was destroyed, so thats why he wants new vacuum lines. He manually tested the EGR valve, and its not coming on at all, he says its either the valve itself, or the controls. Only way he can test the controls is if he hooked it up to the computer to test, which is $80 in its own.

He ordered the vacuum lines for me, at $40 (does that sound right?), should be here some time this week or early next. Is the install of new vacuum lines an easy thing to do? I found the diagram in my manual....but it is a poorly shrunk image and kinda blurry. I can always wait on the EGR for a few more weeks until i get more money, just push back my temp registration at DMV

Oh, one more thing....from the quote he gave me, replacement vacuum lines....is he talking about the hose that runs from the EGR to the vacuum regulator valve? If thats the only hose that is bad, is it really $40!??