Electronics Need help wiring something up? Thinking of adding an electrical component to your car? Need help troubleshooting that wiring glitch?

need help with chassis wiring harness

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2010 | 02:34 PM

need help with chassis wiring harness

hi i got a 86 iroc that i am trying to put a lq9 with a 4l60 tranny in it my problem is the chassis harness is in very bad shape all plug ins are melted i want to replace it but haveing a hard time finding one i found a univeral one from ez wiring its a gm keyed Column 21 CIRCUIT HARNESS it has Circuits: Horn, Fan, Dome Light, Hazard, Radio, Cig Lighter, Door Locks, Brake, Headlights, Trunk/Dome Light, Gauges, Backup and Cruise, Wipers, Choke, Coil, Radio Ignition, Ac/Heat, Electric Fuel Pump, Power Windows, Turn Signal. would like to know if i can use this harness for my basic needs lights brakes turn signals etc please some let me know if you know thanks
Old 05-27-2011 | 03:30 AM
Supreme Member

Re: need help with chassis wiring harness

Hey did you ever end up ordering this??? It's what I have (currently being installed). What did you do about the tail lights, power windows and locks??
Name:  2011-03-24200617.jpg
Views: 1391
Size:  570.8 KB

Name:  2011-05-12162314.jpg
Views: 1681
Size:  541.6 KB
Old 05-27-2011 | 01:46 PM

need help with chassis wiring harness-tcpowerwindowdiagramn.pnghi yes i did get it and i am have trouble with it to in the same areas i want to run relays to window motors and door looks i found this diagram online and trying to use that
Old 05-27-2011 | 03:14 PM
Supreme Member

Car: 89 IROC
Engine: LSX 6.0 370, TU2 Cam, Fast intake
Transmission: T56 w/ lots of goodies
Axle/Gears: 8.8, Posi, 4.10, 31 Spline

Thanks for the diagram as I was looking for one as well
Old 05-28-2011 | 02:11 AM
Supreme Member

Car: 1986 Trans am
Engine: 5.3 LM7
Transmission: T56 6 speed
Axle/Gears: Dana 44 w/ 3.55's

Originally Posted by blakecharles
Hey did you ever end up ordering this??? It's what I have (currently being installed). What did you do about the tail lights, power windows and locks??
For the tail lights, just use your existing tail harness and splice the new one into it. Most of the time the wire colors will match.

For power windows, that diagram posted above is exactly what I did on my painless harness using a relay.

As far as power locks, heres the diagram I used....It's the Actuators/ Reverse Polarity diagram (4th one down).

http://www.the12volt.com/doorlocks/page3.asp

I set mine up to be positive activated though as opposed to the diagram which shows negative activated locks....that way you still use the fuse in the fuse block for them. Basically, the green "lock" wire in the diagram will go to the lock wire on the stock switch where as the blue "unlock" wire will go to the unlock wire on the switch. There are black and light blue output wires off the stock switch...you'll just have to figure out which locks and which unlocks. The orange wire off the switch will get hooked to the fuse blocks power output wire for each side for the power locks. Then, terminals 85 and 86 which show a red wire in that diagram will have to be grounded instead for it to operate.

Be sure you use two SPDT relays instead of the SPST!! If not you will melt ground wires!
Old 06-03-2011 | 10:18 PM
Supreme Member

Originally Posted by whitedevilTA
For the tail lights, just use your existing tail harness and splice the new one into it. Most of the time the wire colors will match.

For power windows, that diagram posted above is exactly what I did on my painless harness using a relay.

As far as power locks, heres the diagram I used....It's the Actuators/ Reverse Polarity diagram (4th one down).

http://www.the12volt.com/doorlocks/page3.asp

I set mine up to be positive activated though as opposed to the diagram which shows negative activated locks....that way you still use the fuse in the fuse block for them. Basically, the green "lock" wire in the diagram will go to the lock wire on the stock switch where as the blue "unlock" wire will go to the unlock wire on the switch. There are black and light blue output wires off the stock switch...you'll just have to figure out which locks and which unlocks. The orange wire off the switch will get hooked to the fuse blocks power output wire for each side for the power locks. Then, terminals 85 and 86 which show a red wire in that diagram will have to be grounded instead for it to operate.

Be sure you use two SPDT relays instead of the SPST!! If not you will melt ground wires!
Ha! Thanx for the tip! Your car is coming along nice! I used raptor liner on mine.

What type of ground wires are you guys using? I have some 12 gauge marine (black). The EZ harness did not come with any grounds...
Old 06-04-2011 | 01:07 AM
Supreme Member

Ha! Thanx for the tip! Your car is coming along nice! I used raptor liner on mine.

What type of ground wires are you guys using? I have some 12 gauge marine (black). The EZ harness did not come with any grounds...
Thanks for the compliment! As far as grounds, as long as you match the size of the wire that feeds the item with power, you will be fine (ie if a dome light uses an 18 gauge wire for power, use an 18 gauge ground. Just don't go smaller on the ground!) I'm sure a bigger wire for the ground is fine as well, but not necesary.

Last edited by whitedevilTA; 06-04-2011 at 01:11 AM.
Old 06-04-2011 | 04:51 PM
Supreme Member

Originally Posted by whitedevilTA
Thanks for the compliment! As far as grounds, as long as you match the size of the wire that feeds the item with power, you will be fine (ie if a dome light uses an 18 gauge wire for power, use an 18 gauge ground. Just don't go smaller on the ground!) I'm sure a bigger wire for the ground is fine as well, but not necesary.
I'm guessing you used a bunch of the connectors from your old harness... I have never done wiring of any kind and find it hard to collect the proper connectors (I cannot make heads or tails of my old harness). When my car was stolen the harness got all hacked up. I'm not sure where to lay the grounds in most cases. Can it be anywhere on the chassis? Will the fuses be okay for all the taillights on a 89 camaro RS?

The only wiring that I have left is the power locks and windows (was cut in the door jamb right where it comes into the car) and the tail light harness. Should I solder the EZ harness to the factory tail harness or use the connector???

Last edited by blakecharles; 06-04-2011 at 04:56 PM.
Old 06-04-2011 | 08:54 PM
Supreme Member

I'm guessing you used a bunch of the connectors from your old harness... I have never done wiring of any kind and find it hard to collect the proper connectors (I cannot make heads or tails of my old harness). When my car was stolen the harness got all hacked up. I'm not sure where to lay the grounds in most cases. Can it be anywhere on the chassis? Will the fuses be okay for all the taillights on a 89 camaro RS?

The only wiring that I have left is the power locks and windows (was cut in the door jamb right where it comes into the car) and the tail light harness. Should I solder the EZ harness to the factory tail harness or use the connector???
The fuses should all be fine. I did have my old harness so I re-used a lot of the original connectors. As far as the tail harness, it really doesn't matter whether you use the connector or not. I doubt you'll ever need to actually remove the tail harness so just soldering them should work fine. I used my connector because I had it.
Old 09-11-2011 | 03:53 PM
Supreme Member

My tail light harness dose not match the colors of the EZ body harness... Dose anyone know what each of these wires on the tail harness are?

A - Black
B - Light Blue
C - Yellow (brown stripe)
D - Brown
E - Yellow
F - Dark Green
G - Light Green
H - Red (white stripe)
Old 09-11-2011 | 08:00 PM
Supreme Member

My tail light harness dose not match the colors of the EZ body harness... Dose anyone know what each of these wires on the tail harness are?

A - Black - Ground
B - Light Blue - Brake lights
C - Yellow (brown stripe) "I THINK" 3rd brake light
D - Brown - Marker lights (should go to all lights that come on with parking lights/headlights)
E - Yellow - Left rear turn signal lights
F - Dark Green - Right rear turn signal lights
G - Light Green - Reverse lights
H - Red (white stripe)
Are you trying to completely re-wire the tail harness? I just used the stock plug and wired my chassis harness right to it. I wouldn't touch the entire tail harness, just splice the chassis harness to where the plug is on the left hand side in the trunk area. It would be a pain to completely try to re-wire the entire thing. As far as the red/white stripe wire, I am honestly not sure. I know the trunk motor has a red/white stripe wire but you say it's coming off the tail harness itself?
Old 09-11-2011 | 09:02 PM
Supreme Member

this is what I have put together so far with the EZ harness. All the colors match up except for brakes. The EZ harness only has 3rd brake light wire.. So I twisted the orange EZ 3rd brake together with B + C (see above). I am doing all of this assuming that the above chart is correct.

And yea, notice the red/white wire on the right....
Other then that everything else looks to be easy....

EZ TAIL WIRING
----------------
LT park, RT park, License PLT, markers = brown
RR turn = green
LR turn = Yellow
Third Brake = orange
Backup = Green

Name:  2011-09-11164025.jpg
Views: 947
Size:  338.7 KB
Old 09-11-2011 | 10:11 PM
Supreme Member

Looks good to me so far. The brake lights should be fine how you have them too. My painless harness had a brake light wire and a seperate 3rd brake light wire but it's just for convenience in case your 3rd brake light happens to be far from the tail lights (like on the top of the hatch where mine is lol.) As far as that red/white one, I am drawing a blank! I do not remember seeing that on mine. I'll go pop the rear interior panel out tomorrow and check mine out just to see whats going on with that wire. And just so I know, what year is your car, and is it a firebird, TA, or camaro?

Oh and BTW.....Are you planning on having those twist connectors be the permanent connection? Just curious because I would highly recommend soldering. I used butt connectors on mine and am now going through it all and using these special shrink sleeve solder joints for safe measure. Best to do it right the first time is what I've learned.

Last edited by whitedevilTA; 09-11-2011 at 10:16 PM.
Old 09-12-2011 | 01:23 AM
Supreme Member

I will be taking the twists out when I know everything is done right.

mine is a 89 Camaro RS convertible, I had to give up on the BMR setup for now (lost my job at the time)... other then that, we have some of the same stuff going on, only I plan to use a STS turbo setup.
https://www.thirdgen.org/forums/ltx-...wap-pic-6.html
Old 09-21-2011 | 05:22 PM
Supreme Member

are you guys using the stock window/door lock relays? cuz I don't have them
can I get from Kragen or Napa??
Old 09-21-2011 | 09:14 PM
Supreme Member

are you guys using the stock window/door lock relays? cuz I don't have them
can I get from Kragen or Napa??
I used aftermarket relays. Windows are very easy to hook up....door locks, not so much since you need to use 2 seperate relays. One for lock and another for unlock. I have wiring diagrams if you need them on how mine are hooked up.
Old 02-19-2019 | 03:05 PM

Car: 92 Z28
Engine: ls3
Transmission: t56
Axle/Gears: 4.11

Old thread i know, but i am having issues with my tail lights/brakes, using a speedway 12 circuit harness. As soon as i hook up the brake switch with power, something is back feeding through the light wiring and powering up all of my marker lights front and rear along with the licence plate lights. which i know they are all fed by the brown wire. I started my own thread https://www.thirdgen.org/forums/elec...2-circuit.html
but figured id see if any of you had any similar issues and if so what the fix was.